The Best Kitchen Appliances for Your Renovation
Whether you’re planning a modest kitchen update or a major remodel, new appliances are likely to be part of the package. The best kitchen gadgets make life easier by automating tasks that could otherwise take hours, keeping food fresh and drinks chilled. Choosing new appliances for the kitchen requires thought and thought. Learn what to look for when shopping for the best kitchen gadgets, and find out why one or more of the following options deserve a place in your kitchen.
- BEST OVERALL: GASLAND 30 ”built-in induction hob
- BEST BUDGET: Cuisinart TOA-60 convection toaster oven
- BEST SMART: AmazonBasics microwave, small, 700 W, works with Alexa
- BEST STAINLESS STEEL: Hauslane Chef Series 30 ”stainless steel cooker hood
- BEST PORTABLE: Farberware Portable Countertop 5L Dishwasher
Properties found in the best of kitchen appliances
Balancing needs and wants is the best approach to shopping for kitchen appliances. In this area, function outweighs style. For example, you might not like the look of an over-range exhaust fan, but after you’ve set off the smoke alarm a few times while frying fish, you want one. Don’t skimp on quality when buying kitchen appliances either, as cheap appliances are usually less energy efficient and do not work as well. This bargain dishwasher is no deal if you have to scrape food off dishes after the cycle ends.
All kitchens are different, but a few guidelines can help you choose the best kitchen gadgets for your home.
Size and available space
Choose a unit size based on the dimensions and configuration of the kitchen. Most main units are available in standard sizes, and some are available in oversized or compact models.
- Fridge: Most refrigerators are 30 to 36 inches wide and 65 to 70 inches high. The internal storage capacity also depends on the depth of the refrigerator, which is usually between 29 and 35 inches.
- Offer: A standard freestanding range or range fits into a 30-inch opening, is 36 “high, and approximately 25” deep.
- Microwave: The size of microwaves varies more than other devices. Those designed to be installed over a stove are typically 30 to 36 inches wide, 14 to 18 inches high, and between 15 and 17 inches deep. Countertop microwaves are often smaller and take up little work space. They can be as small as 17 inches wide, 14 inches tall, and only 10 inches deep.
- Dishwasher: The standard dishwasher is 24 inches wide, 35 inches high and 24 inches deep.
- Small devices: Small appliances vary in size, but you should still consider how much counter space they need to keep the kitchen from looking cluttered.
To keep a kitchen from being out of date in a few years’ time, consider buying white or stainless steel appliances and, if possible, make sure the appliances match. If you are replacing all of the major appliances in the kitchen, consider buying a complete kit that comes with a refrigerator, dishwasher and an assortment from the same manufacturer range.
With increasing utility costs and consumer desire to reduce fossil fuel consumption, device manufacturers are redesigning their products to use less energy while achieving effective performance. Below you will find information about an environmentally friendly device that saves energy.
- Check the EnergyGuide label: this is the yellow label that comes with most devices. It contains a wealth of information including:
o The estimated annual cost of ownership of the device in US dollars.
o Estimated annual electricity consumption in kilowatt hours (kWh). For the most accurate operational estimate – since the electricity costs vary depending on the municipality – multiply the annual electricity consumption by the kWh rate stated on your electricity bill.
- Look for the EnergyStar sticker: In addition to the EnergyGuide label, devices that meet EPA standards for efficiency will have a blue sticker with a white EnergyStar logo.
- Look for an “eco” setting: some appliances, usually dishwashers, have an energy saving cycle that uses less energy than the normal cycle.
Tips on buying the best kitchen appliances
Upgrading a kitchen can be stressful because appliances are expensive and homeowners want to get the most bang for their buck.
- Avoid impulse buying. Often times, manufacturers jot down devices that aren’t selling well, and you may think you’re getting a lot when you could actually buy a device with low ratings and poor performance. Don’t buy a device without researching first.
- Stick to your budget. The top tech models of gadgets are passed out, but do you need a refrigerator with a camera inside? Set your budget and stick with it.
- Shop for reputable brands. Buying an off-brand can save you money, but manufacturers with top track records are usually better choices. Online research is essential. Therefore, use guides where the research has already been carried out, e.g. For example, check out BobVila.com for the best dishwashers, built-in refrigerators, and electric hobs.
Our top picks
To qualify as a top choice, a kitchen appliance must be durable, easy to use, and customer approved. This list is not exhaustive and your individual needs will vary, but each of the following kitchen appliances is well built and works well for specific kitchen purposes.
If you are looking for a new hob in the market, take a look at the GASLAND Electric Induction Cooktop with sensor touch control. The standard hob is 30 inches wide and has five cooking zones for the preparation of multiple dishes at the same time (additional sizes are available). Two of the cooking zones have a Power Boost function for rapid heating. The hob has a sensor touch control with which the cook can choose from nine power levels at the touch of a button, ranging from simmering to boiling. The slim, black induction top is easy to clean and goes with any decor. The hob is also equipped with a child safety lock and automatic switch-off protection.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a quality device. If you are on a budget but want to bring your kitchen up to date, the Cuisinart Convection Toaster Oven is for you. For tenants, small residents or even those who want additional baking space, the Cuisinart toaster is just the thing. It comes in stainless steel and has a 0.6 foot internal cooking space. The toaster offers seven cooking functions: air frying, convection baking, convection frying, regular baking, regular roasting, toasting and heating. The air circulation in convection mode ensures even heat distribution and even browning of the baked goods.
If you’re looking for a cooking appliance that works via voice commands, consider the AmazonBasics Small Microwave, which you can control with Alexa. To operate the microwave remotely, you need an installed WiFi home network and an Amazon Echo device (not included). Choose between thawing, boiling or popcorn and simply instruct Alexa to start cooking. The microwave can also be controlled using the digital keyboard. It measures 17.3 “x 10.1” x 14.1 “, so it works well on a countertop or a rolling kitchen cart. It has an easy-to-clean black exterior that compliments most kitchens.
Combine the stainless steel extractor hood from the Hauslane Chef series with a stainless steel extractor hood or a hob. The hood installs over a standard 30 ”area and has touchscreen controls, an integrated digital clock, and programmable delayed shutdown. It has six ventilation speed settings so you can choose the right amount of ventilation while cooking. The hood has LED lights to illuminate the cooking surface. You can remove the hood’s stainless steel filters and run it through the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
If your kitchen doesn’t have room for a built-in dishwasher or if you rent out, the Farberware portable dishwasher should be considered. The Farberware dishwasher was manufactured on a countertop and has a suction hose that easily connects to a kitchen faucet and a drain hose that leads to the sink drain. It comes with top and bottom wash arms to help remove stuck food and is the right size for a home with one or two residents. This portable dishwasher measures 17.3 cm wide and deep and is 16.5 cm high. Choose from five different washing cycles for cleaning dishes or even disinfecting baby bottles.
Kitchen appliance FAQs
Kitchen gadgets make life easier and free up time for the things you would rather do. If you’re just starting out looking for devices, you probably have a few questions.
Question: What color is the most popular for kitchen appliances?
Stainless steel is the most popular finish for kitchen appliances.
Question: Are white kitchen appliances no longer in fashion?
White devices have stood the test of time. While other colors – think avocado and burnt orange – have come and gone, white kitchen gadgets never seem to go out of style.